Thursday, September 14, 2006

Here a Book, There a Book, Everywhere a Book, Book

I spent the morning at the elementary school library helping out with Book Fair. This is the most wonderful event! We transformed the library into a wonderland of books and learning tools that each child and his family will be able to shop in next week. Oh the books we set up. I love books. I come from a family that loves books. If I weren't a human I would want to be a book! (At least a rare, treasured one) It was so fun working with the other moms that had volunteered. We spent the morning lifting heavy cartons of books and having an impromptu book club. We all talked about the pros and cons of books we had recently read. What a fun way to do service. Why can't all acts of service be this fun?
If I do nothing in life I hope that I can instill in my kids the love and joy of reading. Isn't it wonderful to be able to sit in a comfortable chair and travel all over the world in all sorts of decades? When I read I love to transport myself to all the neat places. I love inserting myself into their lives and feeling the emotions of the characters.
I was so happy working in the library that I forgot to be stressed over how much work there is to be done in the studio before we open up on Monday. Thankfully, a whole group of friends showed up this afternoon to move things along rather quickly. So.....does this mean that service begets service? Nah, things couldn't be that easy could they?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I miss book fairs! I am so jealous! I sent you the book for book club today, though...keep an eye out for it!