Saturday, March 08, 2008

Skating in a Winter Wonderland



This wonderful March started with beautiful snow. We don't get a lot of snow in the south, so we were all pretty excited. I let the kids stay home from school to play in this white wonderland! Boo Boo was here to enjoy it with them. They had all kinds of fun making snowballs. This was great snowball snow. Typically we get more ice than powder. They froze while they were launching snowball attacks. It was wonderful! I brought them in after most of their visible body parts had turned a bright red. I stuck them under blankets and gave them hot chocolate. I love the snow!

By the next day, Wednesday, most of the snow had melted. There were only spots here and there. I walked the girls to the bus stop and we froze while we waited for the bus to come. It was all good! The cold was invigorating. I felt alive.......and at just about this point, as I was walking back home my foot slips on a piece of black ice.......Imagine a hippopatomas twirling and spinning and falling! I imagine that is what I looked like. I did a miniature version of the splits as one foot shot out in front of me and the other sort of stayed stationary. My sister likes to call it the "ground hurkey". Yea, I was in fine form. My knee slapped the pavement with such force.....and pain......and not one little bad word slipped out! I looked around to see how many people witnessed my skating spectacular. I didn't see anyone, but windows can sometimes hide those prying eyes.....I did my best to gather myself up with as much dignity as possible and hobbled back home. Who knew a knee could hurt so much? Thank goodness I did not throw my arms down to break my fall. I did that two years ago on roller skates and broke my wrist. It was no small thing. I had to have surgery to install a plate to hold the bones together. I broke a couple of fingers on the tips, and damaged some nerves and tendons. Hand therapy is not for the weak! It took three months to get my hand working semi well. Did I mention how much I hate skating? Did I mention how much I hate the snow? I mean, really, you would think we would be protected from the lethal, nasty white stuff living in the south as we do. Who gets snow in March anyway? Is someone out to get me?????????











1 comment:

Unknown said...

TAke golf shoes to Breckenridge!