Thursday, August 14, 2008

Training for the Olympics


During this past week I have come to realize just how hard the training is to participate in the Olympics. The participant has basically devoted his/her life to the pursuit of earning a medal. There is no social life. Your routine during the two weeks can be grueling, especially if you are going to participate in more than one event. It hurts me right now as I am thinking of the grueling schedule and the toll it can take on your body. It takes great dedication, concentration, and self discipline to stick with it. No wonder only the elite can make it! I'm glad that the end result is worth all the sacrifice. Just think of all the family time and personal time that is forfeited during the training and the actual events. I'm am getting tired just thinking about all the hard work.

Well, the good news is that one week is almost over and there is only one more week of the grueling schedule to go. I am patting myself on the back for the extra hours of training I put in. Yep! I practiced endless hours in front of a television, staying up late, late, late. I knew that when the Olympics appeared my kids would already be in school. Not everyone can stay up till 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning cheering the USA to victory and then getting up at 6:00 am to get the kids ready for school. I rush back home to hear all the early morning interviews of the athletes and settle in for all the prelims. I go pick up my kids, rush through a "fend for yourself" dinner to hit the prime time events. I've gotta tell ya.... I've been hanging in there! Yeah, Me!!!


In fact I have to go right now to catch the prime time events!

2 comments:

Mara said...

You hang in there girl...I'm sure the gold is within your reach! Great post!

Unknown said...

HaLarious!!! I needed that post today!!! I am glad you are hanging in there with them!