Friday, August 01, 2008

Surely We Don't Reap What We Sow?????

Today I took my 3 kiddos and my mother to meet my sister for lunch and a day of shopping. My cousin is getting married tomorrow and we wanted to get some clothing that could possibly help us reduce the heat that will be scorching down on us. She is having an outdoor wedding...in southern Arkansas...in August...with temperatures running in the 100's...and the humidity somewhere at 90%! I think a bikini is going to be the only thing that might help us all, but only if everyone is blind (visualizing me in a bikini is worse than a nightmare!). Oh, what fun we are going to have this weekend. If no one sees or hears from me by Sunday night, it can only mean one thing...I melted!

While we were shopping I was trying to help LiLi and YaYa pick out a couple of dresses since they, apparently, aren't going to stop growing. By the last store my sister was actually laughing at me. It seems this shopping trip brought back some old memories of me shopping with my dad. I think after the first few times of shopping with me my mom refused to go anymore. My sister so kindly pointed this out to me as I was rolling my eyes and refraining from "choking" LiLi over her indecision (about the 40th time that day) on which shoes to buy for her two dresses that she may or may not want to keep. What if she finds cuter dresses in the next store?

When I was younger I would have my dad take me to a store and l would look around at all they had to offer. I never bought anything from the first store. I would turn to him and tell him that I didn't see anything I liked and wanted to go to another store. He would patiently take me to the next store and I would look at all they had to offer and turn to him with the same statement. He would ask me if I was sure I didn't see anything I liked and then patiently take me to another store. This would go on for several stores. I can't tell you the hours he would patiently wait for me while I looked and tried on piece after piece, only to head somewhere else. After a few hours of this I would ask him to take me back to the first store and I would miraculously walk up and find just the right thing! I know this frustrated him to no end. He could never understand why I didn't like anything the first time around but found the perfect thing after hours of looking everywhere only to end up at the starting point. What a great dad he was!

Well, my sister was trying to point out to me that LiLi was only doing the very thing that I used to do. In her twisted way she was trying to tell me I was only getting what I so richly deserved!

Hey, Dr. Mom! Do you thinking he is having the time of his life laughing at me right now?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You betcha!!!